Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup (found at Take Part as part of their Meatless Monday recipe collection)
2 bunches broccoli
1 tbsp olive oil
4 c vegetable stock
1 russet potato
salt and pepper
1. Chop florets and stalk of broccoli. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, and sweat about 10 minutes.
3. Add stock and chopped potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until soft (about 12 minutes).
4. Stir in chopped broccoli. Simmer until soft (about 10 minutes).
5. Remove from heat and puree in a blender until smooth.
6. Salt and pepper to taste. Optionally, drizzle with olive oil, good vinegar, or a squeeze of lemon.
Served with fresh home baked bread. Yum!
I loved this soup. To start with, it was so quick and simple to make. It is definitely up there in my list of favourite soups in regard to flavour as well. It was also satisfying and filling without being heavy. It is perfect for dipping with bread. It was a soup I couldn't get enough of. As soon as one spoonful was in my mouth, I wanted another one.
I wanted to share this recipe because even though most of you out there are not vegetarians, I think that reducing meat consumption is a viable option for everyone willing. If for one day a week everyone in the States ate meatless, it would be the environmental equivalent of not driving 91 billion miles. Or, according to Rodale, if just one day a week every family in the US left out meat and cheese, it would reap the environmental benefits of taking the family car off of the road for five full weeks.
What is your favourite meatless, or even vegan, meal?