Sunday, May 8, 2011

Superhero Foods

This is a two for one entry!  We tried 2 new, healthy foods for dinner recently: cod and quinoa.

I know fish is the healthier option over beef and other land animal meats, but I have never been a seafood lover. Since being with Brad though, I have been more willing to broaden my horizons.  Cod is a fish I would recommend to those who don't really like fish as the taste is not too strong.  Nutritionally speaking, it is commendable as well.  Cod is a low calorie, low fat source of complete protein.  Research shows that it also provides significant heart health improvements.

Quinoa, on the other hand, was a food I was excited to try.  As I've mentioned before, I love white rice, but I know it's not food for me.  I hoped that this would provide a healthy alternative.  Quinoa is being labeled a super food.  Quinoa is one of the rare plant foods that is a complete protein, and a great source of it, also containing all 8 of the amino acids.  As well, it is an excellent source of calcium and iron.  These facts have made it popular especially with vegetarians and vegans.  It also a complex carbohydrate that keeps you fuller longer and is even gluten-free.  I could go on and on about the health benefits I have read about, but I will stop here and show you how it went.

Quinoa is prepared the same way as rice with a 2:1 ratio for water to grain.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes.

 Cod is baking in the toaster oven, an energy saving alternative to the oven when preparing meals for only 2 people.

Bon appetit!

The meal was delicious.  I would say one of the best tasting and most grown up meals that Brad and I have prepared since getting married.  I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the cod.  I would certainly have it again.  I am especially excited to look for new ways to use quinoa in our meals.  You might get to hear about it again!

PS - Happy Mother's Day to all the moms reading!


3 comments:

  1. Your cod looks good...did you bread it with anything, or just season it. Also, I am going to look, I think I have a recipe for using quinoa in a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try quinoa for a while now. I think i will have to get some soon. How did it compare to rice taste and texture wise? I am wondering how Kenya might react to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Amazing! What a fun looking meal! All it is missing is a giant freezy for desert! LOL... Now that is a complete Meal!!!!
    (Greg)

    ReplyDelete